Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Arriving At Kurdistan

Hello everyone!

I have finally seen the opportunity to write, so I shall do so. Kevin and I arrived safely to Erbil and was picked up by my uncle. On our two hour drive back to Soran, we passed through some of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. The mountains are breathtaking, the grass is green, and the people are wonderful. As we stood at the top of my uncle Bill's house, we were taken back by God's creation. Currently there is a team from...Jordan?  who are also staying at my uncle's house. It was a very cool experience to hear some of them worship in Arabic while I sang along in English. Though we speak with different languages, we bonded together as we worshiped the same loving God. I really enjoy worshiping with them because they did whatever. Some clapped, others danced, some sat and prayed. It was very freeing to worship the Lord differently and not get judged or stared at by others. Why must we be stuck to our seat? If we have joy in our heart, it should overflow out into our actions. It definitely brought us close, even though we had just met. After worship this morning, we traveled to the community center which is in construction. My uncle plans on using this building to serve as a tool to bond the community, to help the widows and orphans, and most importantly to share the Gospel to a people who are desperately in need of hope. The community center has two soccer fields that my uncle has made. When we arrived, around twenty or thirty children came running over and the guys joined in playing soccer with them. Though it was hot and the ground was rocky dirt, we had a blast and was able to love on the kids. After several hours of soccer we came back for lunch. It is currently around 2 pm here and I am already feeling a slight effect of jet lag. I am not sure what is planned for the rest of the day, but I know that I am more than willing to do what is asked of me. It is taking a while for all of this to soak in. It is odd hearing the call to prayer five times a day but I see it as a reminder of the need of Christ in this community. Kevin and I pray that the Lord will really work in wondrous ways in this place. I have only been here for about a day and I have already fallen in love with it. I am already dreading the time I will have to leave. Kevin and I hope to post a video soon as well as more pictures! I hope you enjoy them. Thanks you all that have been praying for us. I will plan to post more soon!

Jake & Kevin

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you all are having a good time so far. I wish i could be there with you! Miss you so much Jake. (yes already.) cya in a month!
    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refreshing to finally hear you speak positively about a worship experience. I'll be stalking you via your posts :)

    Agree with Becca- miss you already. Good luck.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete